Bengal tigers are powerful predatory animals. The species is said to be one of the biggest wild cats alive; this is due to its considerable body mass. Below is a complete compilation of the Bengal Tiger’s weight; the average weight, weight of male, female, adult and the baby tigers. You are not only going to learn How Much Does A Bengal Tiger Weigh but also its weight comparison with other tiger species and other interesting information.
How Much Does A Bengal Tiger Weigh
Bengal Tiger Weight
- On average, wild male adult weighs between 200 to 261 kg (441 to 575 lbs).
- While the adult wild female weighs between 116 to 164 kg (256 to 362 lbs).
- Young adult females weigh around 75 kg (165 lbs).
- Due to sexual dimorphism, the weight of male and female bengal tigers varies significantly.
- Sub species also exhibit varying weights.
- Environmental factors and habitats influence the weight of Bengal tigers. Wild tigers are usually not as heavy as those in captivity.
How Much Does The Average Bengal Tiger weigh
- In 1997, 7 adult males were averaged in Chitwan National Park. Their average weight was 235 kg (518 lbs).
- In 1999, 11 Bengal tigresses were studied. Their average weight was 135 kg (298 lbs).
- In the same study, the average male weighed 225 kg (496 lbs).
Heaviest Bengal Tiger
- The Smithsonian Institution in USA houses the world’s heaviest bengal tiger on record. The male weighed an astounding 388.7 kg (857 lb).
Bengal Tiger Weight Comparison
- Bengal tigers found in South India and Bangladesh weigh between 191 to 215 kg (421 to 474 lbs) on average.
- While those in North India and Nepal are heavier. They average between 222 to 238 kg (489 to 525 lbs). These calculations do not separate males from females.
- Sundarban Bengal tigers live in a mangrove habitat and weigh lesser than the Bengal tigers found in other parts of Asia.
- Even though the white bengal tiger is a seperate sub specie, its average weight range is the same as an average bengal tiger.
Tigers Weight Comparison Chart
Learn more: How Much Does a Tiger Weigh
How Much Does The Male Bengal Tiger Weigh
- Tiger infant weighs between 0.8 to 1.6 kg (1.8 to 3.5 lbs).
- At 6 months, the male tiger cub weighs approximately 40 kg (90 lbs).
- They grow to between 200 and 261 kg (441 to 575 lbs).