Polar Bear is the largest land carnivore and knowing that we wonder how tall is a polar bear when measured. We have also seen polar bear standing on its hind legs and in that position it can be even more taller. We have gathered complete information about the Polar Bear Height to give you a clear idea about its height both when it is on its four legs or when it is standing on its hind legs. In order to make the picture clear we have also compared its height with man, other bears and animals so that you can know where it stands.
How Tall is a Polar Bear
- The male polar bears are taller than female polar bears.
- Usually the height of an animal is considered only when it is standing on its four legs.
- Polar bears can also stand on its hind legs and their height in this position can cross 10 feet.
Polar Bear Height when standing on its four legs
- The height of the polar bear from the ground when it is standing on all of its four legs is 1 to 1.6 meter which is equal 4 to 5.3 feet.
How Tall is a Polar Bear Standing Up
- The polar bear height when it is standing on its hind legs like a person is about:
- Adult Male Polar Bear Height: 2.4 to 3 meters which is 5.9 to 9.8 feet.
- Adult Female Polar Bear Height: 1.8 to 2.4 meter which is 5.9 to 7.8 feet.
- You can get an accurate idea of the polar bear size by reading the following article:
Tallest Bear Ever Recorded
- The tallest bear ever recorded was 3.39 meter tall when standing on its hind legs.
- It was shot in 1960 at Kotzebue Sound in northwestern Alaska.
- Its weight was 1,002 kg i.e. 2209 pounds.
Polar Bear Height Comparison with Other Bears
|Bears||Height on Four Legs|
|Polar Bears||1 to 1.60 meters|
|Brown Bears||0.7 to 1.5 meters|
|American Black Bear||up to 0.9 meters|
|Asian Black Bear||0.7 to 1 meter|
|Sun Bear||0.7 meters|
|Spectacled Bear||0.6 to 0.9 meter|
|Giant Panda Bear||0.6 to 0.9 meter|
Why do Polar Bears Stand on its Hing Legs?
- For a more clear vision, so that they can see far more than they are able to see when standing on all four legs.
- For a more clear smell, polar bear smell sense is the strongest and can detect food and female polar bears from miles. In standing position they gain more height and can smell the scent carried by the wind more clearly.
- A mother polar bear stand up to see whether its cubs are safe and whether a male polar bear is approaching her or not.