Polar bears and grizzly bears are both members of the bear family, Ursidae. They are similar in many ways, but there are also some important differences between them. One key difference is size: polar bears tend to be much larger than grizzlies.
Polar Bears Vs Grizzly Bears Size
One average the Polar Bear is bigger in size than the Grizzly bear. A typical adult male polar bear is more than twice the size of a typical adult female grizzly!
Lets analyze both these beasts in terms of their weight, height & length:
Polar Bears Vs Grizzly Bears Weight
- Adult male polar bears typically weigh between 600 pounds (272 kg) and 1,500 pounds (680 kg), while adult female polar bears weigh between 330 pounds (250 kg) and 550 pounds (250 kg).
- Adult male grizzlies usually weigh between 400 pounds (181 kg) and 800 pounds (363 kg), while adult female grizzlies typically weigh 300 pounds (136 kg) to 400 pounds (181 kg).
So in terms of weight, the polar bears are heavier than grizzly bears.
Polar Bears Vs Grizzly Bears Height
On all of its four legs
- The height of the polar bear is 1.2 to 1.6 meters (4 to 5.3 feet) while that of female polar bear is 0.81 to1.19 meters (2.8 to 3.11 feet).
- The height of the male grizzly bear is 1.07 to 1.37 meters (3.6 -4.6 feet) while that of female grizzly bear is 0.91 to 1.12 meters (3 to 3.8 feet).
So in terms of shoulder height the polar bear is taller than the grizzly bear.
When Standing on its Hind Legs
- Adult Male Polar Bear Height is 2.4 to 3 meters (5.9 to 9.8 feet)
- Adult Female Polar Bear Height: 1.8 to 2.4 meters (5.9 to 7.8 feet).
- Adult Male Grizzly Bear Height: 2.13 to 2.44 meters (7 to 8 feet).
- Adult Female Grizzly Bear Height: 1.7 to 1.98 meters (5.6 to 6.6 feet).
So when the bears are standing on their hind legs, the polar is taller than the grizzly bear.
Polar Bears Vs Grizzly Bears Body Length
- The body length of a male polar bear is between 2.6 – 3 meters (8.6 to 9.10 feet) while that of female polar bear is 2.4 to 2.8 meters (7.2 to 9.2 feet).
- The body length of a male grizzly bear is between 2.13-2.44 m (7 to 8 feet) while that of female grizzly bear is 1.7-1.98 meters (5.6 to 6.6 feet).
So in terms of body length, the polar bear is taller than the grizzly bear.
The Biggest Ever Polar Bear vs The Biggest Ever Grizzly Bear
- The biggest polar bear ever recorded was in 1960 which was 3.9 meters (12.8 feet) tall and weighed around 2,209 lbs i.e 1,002 kg.
- One of the tallest grizzly bears ever recorded in captivity was called Goliath. It lived at Space Farms Zoo and Museum – Sussex, NJ between 1967 and 1991. It was 3.7 meters (12 feet) tall and weigh a short ton.
So when it comes to the biggest ever bears on record, the polar bear is bigger than the grizzly bear.
Polar Bears Vs Grizzly Bears Size Comparison
|Polar Bear||Grizzly Bear|
|Weight||600-1,500 lbs||330-550 lbs||400-800 lbs||300-400 lbs|
|Height on four legs||4 – 5.3 feet||2.8 to 3.11 feet||3.6 – 4.6 feet||3 to 3.8 feet|
|Height on hind legs||5.9 – 9.8 feet||5.9 – 7.8 feet||7 – 8 feet||5.6 – 6.6 feet|
|Body Length||8.6 – 9.10 feet||7.2 – 9.2 feet||7 – 8 feet||5.6 – 6.6 feet|
Are polar bears bigger than grizzly bears?
Yes polar bears are bigger than grizzly bears. See the picture below to have a clear idea.